Sunday, May 11, 2014

You Are My Spring - Color Me Scrappy Challenge

Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers of human kids and/or fur-babies all the world over...and here's to a fresh new week in Spring 2014!

Today I'm sharing a layout highlighting the girl who made me a mom for the first time over 12 years ago.  She's 6 weeks old in this layout, and I created this layout as inspiration from this Color Me Scrappy color scheme:



When I saw this color scheme, the Simple Stories "Fresh Air" Simple Set collection immediately popped into my mind.  Here's my layout:



When I was thinking of spring, I was thinking of sunshine and flowers.  I like the popular "rays" look but instead of straight rays, I wanted swirled rays to also connote flowers.  I went to the Silhouette store and chose this peppermint file.  I expanded it to fit within a 12 x 12 frame, and adjusted it to fit where I wanted the center of my swirls to be (slightly lower to the right than center).  I cut each swirl out in my chosen paper, and I inked the edges using various inks: CTMH Crystal Blue, Smoothie, and Seafoam.  After spattering a piece of white cardstock using Crystal Blue reinker, I adhered my swirl rays to the page and then sewed in light blue along the sides of each swirl (my photo will cover the points that don't exactly match up so I wasn't concerned about them not touching - you can adjust using your Silhouette software if you want them to touch):




Next, I layered my 5x7 photo with my favorites from the Fresh Air collection - I inked or distressed the edges as I layered.  I added a few of the elements from the elements #2 and sticker sheets.  I love the heart next to the cloud, but I added a sticker with four hearts on it, flower sequin and green brad to create an embellishment cluster.



Next, I created my title "You are my spring".  I used the green alpha stickers from the collection for the "You".  The sticker sheet had the phrase "you are my sunshine", so I trimmed the "are my" from that and matted it.  To create "spring", I used CTMH D1481 "Vintage Type".  I stamped the flowers in Smoothie and the letters in Crystal Blue and then fussy cut them out and adhered with 3D foam tape.



Next, I created an embellishment cluster on the top left of my photo area using lace tape, a fussycut flower with a yellow enamel dot, and a bow.



Finally, I created a journal spot using the Elements #2 paper and a couple of the stickers.



The challenge also included instructions to use things that started with the letters that spell "NEW".  Mine are:

N = "N" stamp in title
E = Elements #2 paper in Fresh Air
W = Whimsical flowers

I hope you are inspired and enjoy your week!  I am still working on some chocolate cake I got as part of an early Mother's Day dessert from a fabulous place here in Houston called The Chocolate Bar (thank goodness it's not near my house, or I'd be in.......
T-R-O-U-B-L-E!!)...and I hope you got some chocolate too.  :)



Chocolate, scrappy hugs,
Majken

1 comment:

  1. What a sweet layout!!! The page design is awesome!! Thanks so much for joining us at Color Me Scrappy!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments! They give me nearly as many endorphins as chocolate does. :) Don't forget to follow me on Instagram: @chocoscrapaholic