Thursday, June 12, 2014

#TBT - Graduation Celebration

Hi gals and guys-

Do you ever have one of those weeks where all of a sudden it is the next week?  That happened to me!  I had planned to share my latest TBT post with you last week, and I simply...Ran. Out. Of. Time.  I sometimes wish I could pause real life so I could have extra time to scrapbook!  

So, I have a REALLY old scrapbook page to share today that I've updated.  It is really old and one of my very first "modern" attempts at scrapbooking after graduating with my master's in 1998.  Back then, the patterned paper was just getting started...and embellishments?  Well, I knew I needed to add something to this, so I cut out the school seal from an extra graduation invitation to add.  Here is the throwback with my parents and then-boyfriend (now husband...who was going through his weird long-hair phase):


How I loved to tackle modernizing this page!  And here is my newly created page:


I gently pulled the original photos from the original page as digital photography was not yet around (at least not for me).  I grabbed my new stash of My Mind's Eye Market Street Nob Hill and Ashbury Heights and pulled out the pages with gold foil on them since they are celebratory and very "graduation-y".  :)

I originally attempted to use a sketch for this layout and it just wasn't working for me, so I started to free-style!  I started with a piece of off-white cardstock and misted three corners.  I inked all four edges using black Stazon ink.  I had a large piece of the gold stripe, so I inked the edges and layered the gold dot paper on top (after also inking the edges).  I saw the craft "GO" frame and put that over the photo of me walking back to my seat after getting my diploma.  Because the camera was far away and I appear teensy, I used my Cameo to cut a thin arrow to draw attention to me walking.  I matted the other two photos and included a "today" sticker tab on the left one and a short striped banner coming from the right one.  I cut a small square from a scrap of the gold stripe and cut it in half to get two triangles...popping one up on the top left of the gold dots paper and the other in the bottom right.

As soon as I saw the MME sticker sheets, I knew I was going to use the "celebrate" banner for this!  I popped it up with 3D foam and then used some of the chipboard buttons from the Ashbury Heights collection to create a little hanging banner.  I like the shine on them!  I threaded some black waxy thread in the holes of each one and knotted them.


That's my handsome dad above...I sure do miss that man!

For the top right corner of my layout, I trimmed a spare gold piece to go around the "What a wonderful day" sticker.  


I journaled within the off-white stripe, and included a vellum star and star sequins.  I finished with a few of the gold enamel dots on the page. 


That's it for today's Throwback Thursday!  Have you re-visited any of your previous layouts?  If so, I'd love you to share them with me!  

Happy Thursday!
Majken

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comments! They give me nearly as many endorphins as chocolate does. :) Don't forget to follow me on Instagram: @chocoscrapaholic