Thursday, September 1, 2016

Our New Happy Place - Creative Scrappers Sketch 298 Design Team Reveal

Hello, hello, lovely scrappers out in scrappy-land!  I hope you have come with a serving of chocolate to see what I (and the rest of the Creative Scrappers Design Team) have designed for you today.  This month we are partnering with Cuts 2 Luv, makers of some really fun badges!  I've used a few on my layout for this month.

In June, our family made the extraordinary trip to Banff, Alberta, Canada.  It was absolutely stunning - our favorite vacation we've ever had the fortune to have.  So much so that it is definitely our new happy place.  For real...we are already hoping to go back. 

So today's layout is in honor of this new happy place of ours.  The photo I chose of me and my husband was perfect to pair with various blues.  I pulled two pieces of paper from the Echo Park Summer Party collection - the ombre "swimming" paper (which is the largest circle in the center) and the pink/blue solid paper - I used the blue side of course.  Here is the full layout: 



To start, I took a piece of AC white textured cardstock and cut a circle from it using my Cameo - it was about 7 1/2" in diameter.  At this point, I played with many different papers and thoughts - it took a while to come together.  Does that ever happen to you?  I hope I'm not alone!  In any case, I settled on using a piece of ombre cardstock from Echo Park's Summer Party called "Swimming Fish" (the B side) and layered that behind the cut circle.  Next I used my Tim Holtz Distress Inks to watercolor the trimmed left edge of my white cardstock.  I layered 4 different colors to help blend the blue from the sky in the photo to the patterned paper and the navy pieces (Dark Blue paper also from Echo Park Summer Party).




To finish the circles, I cut a smaller circle from vellum with gold stars as well as a thin circle from the dark blue paper.  Then I got to stitching!  I used gold thread to stitch around the circles, along the left edge, and in the embellishment area in the bottom left (shown above).  I love that "love" badge from Cuts 2 Luv above and the blue ombre one shown below.



Here's a quick look at the stitching on the left as well as the journaling area.  I used several pieces of ephemera from the Pink Paislee Citrus Bliss.



Here's a peek at our "perfect photo" and my title.  I used alphas from BasicGrey Urban Luxe and Simple Stories then cut the "happy" using my Cameo.



Take a look at the top right embellishment area.  I used "beautiful" from Citrus Bliss and BasicGrey alpha to create "Banff".  I stitched some more and then added some acrylic stars and enamel dots.



Here is sketch 298:



That's all for me - now go create your own version to link up on the Creative Scrappers site.  We'd love to have you play along!  And please check back with the Creative Scrappers blog on Sept. 15th to see what the Cuts 2 Luv team creates!

Have a lovely week and Labor/Labour Day weekend if you are in US/Canada!

xoxo,
Majken


Materials used:
Papers:  American Crafts, Echo Park Summer Party
Distress inks:  Salty Ocean, Evergreen Bough, Faded Jeans, Scattered Straw
Embellishments:  Cuts 2 Luv, Pink Paislee Citrus Bliss, Simple Stories I Am, Jen Hadfield Home Made, American Crafts
Alphas:  BasicGrey Urban Luxe, Simple Stories
Other:  Gold thread, unknown vellum; Gems - Queen & Co and CTMH

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comments! They give me nearly as many endorphins as chocolate does. :) Don't forget to follow me on Instagram: @chocoscrapaholic